About Greyhound Adoption Center
What is Greyhound Adoption Center?
The Greyhound Adoption Center (GAC) is a California-based 501(c) 3 non-profit organization that rescues, rehabilitates and places greyhound dogs in loving homes in California and Las Vegas.
Join the Greyhound Adoption Center in saving and changing the lives of greyhounds in need.
Everyday, Greyhound Adoption Center volunteers – caring people like you – give their all to change the future from bleak to bright for greyhounds that desperately need our services. Your support allows us to:
- actively save greyhounds from racetracks and shelters
- nurture them at our rescue center or in foster homes
- match them to permanent, loving homes
- offer pre- and post-adoption support, and
- provide humane education.
There are many ways you can help. Explore our website to learn more about greyhounds and how you can become a GAC member, adopter, donor, sponsor or volunteer. Together, we can make a difference, one greyhound at a time.
Greyhounds are waiting every day to become part of our rescue and adoption program!
- They come from racetracks, animal shelters and owners relinquishing their greyhounds.
- GAC takes in ex-racing greyhounds (typically two to five years old), as well as seniors, puppies, greyhound mixes and non-racing greyhounds, ill or injured greyhounds, and those that are shy, challenging or otherwise may be overlooked or left behind.
- We keep all our dogs for as long as it takes to find the right home. While many “special needs” dogs stay with us longer, they deserve a home as much as those greyhounds who may be easier to place.
Our Adoption Center:
GAC maintains our rescue kennel in the San Diego area as a rehabilitation and adoption center. We also use foster homes, as needed, in areas throughout California.
What happens here?
- Each greyhound gets quality veterinary care (see our Medical Overhaul article)
- Volunteers and staff care for our hounds, get to know their personalities, feed and bathe them, and assess their behavior with children, cats and other dogs before they are matched to their forever homes.
We believe our kennel facility is the best place to bring dogs straight from the track so parasites and other common medical conditions cannot be passed on to other dogs living in people’s homes. Our rescue center also enables the dogs to socialize, be exposed to a wide variety of people and have their behavior assessed by our resident greyhound expert.
Where We Are:
- Our organization is officially based in Southern California with a rescue kennel in San Diego’s East County
- We carry out adoptions in areas throughout California and in the Las Vegas, Nevada, area where we have local volunteers to ensure responsible adoption placements, provide pre- and post-adoption support, and promote a sense of community to those GAC adopters and volunteers wishing to participate in the organization.
- GAC supporters live across the country and even internationally! We welcome new friends who want to learn about greyhounds, hear news about our organization and support our efforts.
GAC Board of Directors:
The Greyhound Adoption Center Board of Directors had a general meeting and election of officers on February 12, 2012.
GAC would like to welcome aboard two new members; Jeanne Prins and Marilyn Golisch.
Election of board officers:
Darren Rigg – President
Kathy Johnson – Vice President
Sharon Cummings- Secretary
Jim Howell – Treasurer
Chuck Kunze – Director
Lynne Mattei -Director
Jeanne Prins – Director
Marilyn Golisch –Director
1-877-HOUNDSAVERS (or 877-478-8364) • firstname.lastname@example.org www.houndsavers.org
P.O. Box 2433, La Mesa, CA 91943-2433